Frequently Asked Questions
Right now this FAQ is uncompleted. Sorry.
About Yapig itself
- Developing Yapig source code or sending patches or improvements. Some people already sent them and have been included in Yapig's releases. Yapig source code is heavily documented and I think it is quite easy to modify.
- Other way to help the project is sending bugs, if when you are using Yapig you find that there is something that does not work as it was espected you can report that problem. You can also post new features you would like tol have on future releases or give your preferences for the already sent ones.
- Translating or updating Yapig's translations. Yapig is translated into some languages, but these translations need to be updated from time to time to support new features output text. How to translate or update Yapig's translation is explained in translations docs
- Finally, one of the easiest way
to help the project, if you find it interesting, is helping other users to
find it. Yapig is indexed on some resource pages, this pages rank the
programs they have or let users post their opinion. Your task is simple, you
just have to vote or write an opinion about Yapig on these webs. Just tell
other users why you chose Yapig, what are the advantages/disadvantages and
what you like or don't like about it, that is, what you think about this
program. To find Yapig, you can use the search engine most of this pages have.
Theses are the web pages where Yapig is listed:
- Free Stuff Directory
- Visit Scriptz.com!
- TheCgiSite.com - The Mother of all Programming Sites!
- SoftwareFolder.com PHP Script Index
- Advanced HTML For Beginners PHP Script Index
- Ref Dev
- PHP freaks
- Web Scripts Directory
- Only PHP
- PHP Script Search
- Script DeX
- Get a Script
- Script Matix
- Software Folder
- Webmaster Engine
- Dev Scripts
- Web host where Yapig works
- On Yapig's forum, it was created a thread where users can post witch web server can run Yapig. So if you are searching a webhost or you know a good one: share your knowledge!
- Could not create index.html
- As default Yapig creates a file called index.html, this is done to avoid default HTTP server file listing. There are two critical directories $BASE_DIR (defined in config.php) and $SECURE_DIR (defined in $BASE_DIR/global_gen.php). If you have password protected galleries you MUST create a blank index.html file for security reasons in both dirs. If you don't have password protected files, it doesn't matter.
- Permissions Issues
- Most of problems running Yapig are related to permissions. Remember:
- photos/ directory must have 777 (drwxrwrwx) permissions
- Each gallery directory must have 777 (drwxrwxrwx) permissions
- Yapig's root directory must have 777 permissions as well.
- What does give 777 permissions mean?
It is a commonly used terminology on Unix/Linux operating systems, this only
means that you have to give all read, write and execution permissions to
this folder for the owner of the folder, the group of the owner of the
folder and other users that are out the owner group. This is necessary
because on most system the user who runs the webserver and executes the
Yapig script is different from the owner of the files, and must have access
to write on them.
To change these permissions on most ftp clients you have the option, just search for: modify permissions, modify atributes, chmod or something.
If you are accesing using a shell of text based client the command is chmod 777 filename. For more information you can search in your favourite search engine unix file permissions.
- Yapig Excedes execution time
- This is because as default PHP runs its scripts during 30 seconds. After
that time, it kills them. You have to edit your php.ini file and modify this value to:
max_execution_time = 300 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
- Memory problems with big images
If you are trying to create a gallery with images whitch size in pixels is
very big, it might cause problems when running Yapig. On php server config
(php.ini) there is a directive that sets the maximun amount of memory
allocable by a single script, set to 8MB as default. When Yapig loads big
images and tries to allocate more than this amount, the PHP engine returns a
Fatal Error. The possible solutions to this are:
- change php.ini directive memory_limit = 16M, for example.
- Reduce the image size.
- How does password protect the images?
- Yapig gallery password system is very insecure because if you know the directory and the image name you can access directly to the image url with your browser. Anyway, for personal albums it is enought and if you choose rare/random image names it will be enougth. In the future, it will be studied how to improve this security topic.